Friday, May 23, 2008

May 23rd - Even More Pictures




The marvel of the Camino is the landscape. Through Navarre we were working our way through a green landscape: wheat starting out, grape vines and grape vines destined to produce wine, fine woods. A green landscape on the foundation of a red soil.


On the way from Torres del Rio to Viana we were fortunate enough to coincide with a Romeria when the townsfolk of Bargota carried the statue of the virgin from their church to the nearby hermitage of Santa Maria del Poyo, the saint who had worked wonders for the town and had become its most important religious link. At an outdoors altar behind the hermitage the townfolk gathered for mass, accompanied by a twelve person choir and guitar. And skyrockets.




3 comments:

Sara said...

Yeah for the pictures! I love watching your progress. Who would've known that mom would be trekking across the north of Spain or that either of my parents would ever be blogging!?

I'm trying to match your pace whilst over here in Canada. After my week in Killarney, I spent a weekend up near Bancroft at a white water paddling festival. Although still only a beginner, I think my partner and I dominated the river in our open canoe. It was a blast to try to control our progress over the raging spring water. I think Frank would've been proud. This weekend, I'm off to Prince Edward County for a different kind of fun -- something a little more relaxing, and probably more of a workout for my liver than the rest of my body. Unfortunately, work gets in the way of my fun on weekdays! Ah well -- keep up the updates!!

Margie Garrett said...

What an adventure. I agree Sara. In only a little over a year ago your Mom was hardly able to walk 100 m. This trip is miraculous to say the least. Be well Encarnita. Glad you have taken the time to smell the flowers. Look forward to hearing all about it when you get home. Betty and I survived the Volleyball Championship. We had a perfect record... o% wins and a hundred % laughs. Marg

Tanya said...

Wow, this sounds like a great adventure. What beautiful landscape to trek in. Enjoy it. Encarnita, sorry to hear about your being under the weather. Hope you are drinking lots of fluids and resting well at night. Looking forward to seeing more pics.
Besos,
Tanya