Friday, May 16, 2008

May 14th - Puente Reina

We are finding access to the internet less convenient than I had thought. This afternoon I have a machine that is more modern than the one I have at home and the software is one generation ahead of mine. Nevertheless, I cannot figure out how to attach the disc from my camera to the computer so that I can transmit pictures. You will have to be content with words.

The title has to do with where we were two days ago. We left Pamplona (Cizur Menor) and climbed the Cuesta del Perdon and dropped down to Puente Reina, where the two major pilgrims routes from the middle ages join: one from France and the north, the other from Toulouse and the south. The Queens bridge is a beautiful medieval structure.

From there we took two days to reach Estella, a major town on the Camino. We took two days because I wanted to stay in Mañeru where there is a delightful bed and breakfast.

This morning we left Estella and are now ensconced in Irache. On one side of the road is a huge monastery that we are about to visit. On the other side is a bodega (winery for those limited to English). If you look at www.irache.com you will find a camera focused on the entrance to the winery where there is a pair of fountains, one providing water and the other wine. We may be there.

We have stories to tell, and I wish I could tell them with pictures. I think I will stop writing and spend a little more time with the technology to find out what is possible.

John

No comments: